Thursday, November 09, 2006

TRIBUte

To those who know me, you'll know that I'm part of a Group called La Tribu (The Tribe). And you may wonder...What is that?....Well, here it is a well deserved TRIBUte to true friendship, to family...To us!

Tribu

2001 was the year, July the month...The day...Well it doesn't matter any more. We were a wild bunch, some of us knew each other...The other...Well we were just helping Madeline with the crazy idea of a themed conference to make it more interesting...I was a former 4th year student (ok, It was my 5th year). I worked w/ Madeline training our "collaborators" in the Freshmen Week. It was Madeline's first time as counselor and my 4th working in this (Quite a couple!). She just recruited this bunch of her "UNIV" students (Side Note: UNIV is a Freshmen class, taught by the Counselor, where you learn how to survive your college years). They were her "freshmen", her first group. So, you can guess they were special already. When I first saw them, I never knew...

They were my light at the end of the tunnel (no, no the one that comes from a train). They arrived in my live in the right moment, and without knowing it they changed me, for good. I was in a 5-years-almost-married relationship. I wasn't happy anymore, but if you have been in a long-term relation ship, you know it's hard to end it, no matter how sure you are it should end. You think things like: "My family already knows him and likes him", "How I'm going to tell everyone, our family, our friends?", or the worst "What if I'm wrong?". Thank God, I knew them during that time. That Freshmen week, I had a taste of the kind of Collage life that I wanted, and was not having. I like to say they "saved" me from being a Grumpy Girl, maybe married with somebody I didn't love, regretting...

So, from Freshmen Week 2001, and because we were like 15 crazy guys hanging together all the time, La Tribu was born. Some have left, some have been intagrated and are as if they were there from the begining. But, no matter what...We are LA TRIBU. If you know us you can see that we are the most different people you could ever meet, but we have so much in common. We could have fun just being together in the same place( no appliances needed), have intellectual discussion about politics and religion, or just laugh until everybody is crying or with stomach pain with the Korean Girls Video on Youtube...The best part? All of that without the influence of any drugs or alcohol...hehehe. We are just crazy and FUN loving people who loooove to be together.


Somebody once said that you made life-lasting friends during your Collage years. We are a living proof of that. Now, our lives are taking different paths, some are in Atlanta studying, others are working, others will be gone too. I was scared at first. But, then I realize that this kind of friendship couldn't be broken easily. You need more than distance to keep us apart...

So here is a TRIBUte to friendship, to family, to us...TRIBU, you know who you are...Thanks for the memories, the fun afternoons, the comfort when I was in despair, the movie nights, the Tribu-trips, the ice cream, the Tribu-parties, the support, the photos...THE FRIENDSHIP...THE INCONDITIONAL LOVE...THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!! ....I LOVE U ALL

Now...no TRIBUte is complete without some greatest Tribu moments. So here are some of the pictures:
^The first Tribu photo

^Having fun during a hurricane
^One of the many tribu dinners
^@Cabo Rojo's Placita
^@Aguadilla Ice Skating
^@Justas 2006
^@Toro Negro Rainforrest

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's an old saying that goes,

"Your family is there to clothe you and feed you until you are ready to go out into the world and find your tribe."

I can't find a more fitting way to describe La Tribu. Although I joined the group fairly late, I feel like I have known them forever.

We are a true tribe. Our strength is in each other. We are more than family.

I love you all!
And thanks to Sharma for such a great post!