Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Barranquitas

"Barranquitas (bahr-rahn-KEE-tahs) is a small mountain town located in the central region, north of Aibonito and Coamo; south of Corozal and Naranjito; east of Orocovis and west of Comerio. Barranquitas is spread over 6 wards and Barranquitas Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city).

Barranquitas is about one hour by winding roads from San Juan, the capital. It is nestled amid hills and mountains, and nearby, between Barranquitas and Aibonito, is located the "cañon de San Cristobal" (Canyon of San Cristopher); one of the deepest canyons in the Indies." --Wikipedia

But for those who have had the honor to be there, we know it's much more than that. Barranquitas looks like an small Italian town, beautiful town, so full of culture and heart. It's known as "La Cuna de Proceres", Cradle of Great People, because it's the home of Luis Muñoz Rivera, Clara Lair, Jose Berrios Berdecia, among others, whom have been imortalized thru their writings, politics contributions, and great music.

I grew up loving that town, at the point that I tell everyone I'm "Barranquiteña" (Barranquiteña - name for Barranquitas' female...hehehe). I physically lived in Orocovis, but my heart always belonged to Barranquitas. My entire family is from there and proud of it...From them I learn that love. I had some great memories...Walking thru the town streets, eating Ice Cream at the small shop near the plaza, sitting at the plaza, the museums, Artisan's Fair (La Feria de Artesanias, the best and the oldest one in PR, may I add), the mountains, the fresh air, ...the people. If you haven't been there, you are missing a little piece of heaven...

Although, I can't visit it as much as I want, I always have it in my heart and when somebody ask me where I came from...I'll always said...I'm Barranquiteña!

Town Plaza and Catholic Church

1 comment:

Damaris said...

damn it, I miss my town!
hey, you got a pretty cool blog, so keep feeding it!
Ciao!
D/